Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Safety Harbor Craft Show, May 17, 2009


Business is VERY slow, so I decided to add a show over on the West Coast of Florida. It was a one day show in a cute little bayside town east of Clearwater. The show normally is done twice a year--December and May with the Christmas show being the bigger one.
I was pretty shocked to see the usual 7 block long show had been condensed to only 4 blocks...and then there were still lots of holes in those four short blocks. Plus, as I was setting up I recognized another soapmaker--directly across from me. So much for the organizer telling me I would be the only soapmaker. As it turned out there were five people with soap or bath products. Ugh.

The show went about as expected--the morning was very busy for a Sunday morning. But by the time the heat set in, people were just walking around and not buying. I came home with a few hundred dollars clear in my pocket, but, most vendors were extremely disappointed.

The weather held well though so that was a big plus. I hit some of the worst rain I have ever driven through as I was on I-4 between Lake Alfred and Haines City. I was very close to pulling over, but, I couldn't do it safely so I just dropped my speed very low to get through the deluge safely.


No comments: