Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Making Soap in Illinois, June 11-13, 2010

This post has a subtitle:

Turkey Fryer Soapmaking

 

So, the plan when I made the second trip up to Illinois was to bring my soapmaking equipment with me and use my nephew Roger's kitchen to keep stocked up so I would not have to make trips back to Orlando--saving time and gas money, but sacrificing seeing my husband.  





The bad news is that Roger has a glass cooktop, like Mom and Jodie.  So, since the weight of four 20 quart stockpots is not recommended on those stoves, I had to figure out a Plan B.  I needed to make soap for 2.5 days--that is about 600 bars of soap.  I was out of some of my bestsellers--Lavender Oatmeal, Lilac, etc--so I had to figure something out quick!



I decided to put  out a call for turkey fryers--my sister had one, my best friend from high school had one--but I needed two more.  Since I didn't have time to spare, I just decided to do a half day of soapmaking.  By this time, Sue Brown Carlson, a childhood friend had volunteered her kitchen for Saturday and one of my Mom's friends, Carolyn Wheeler, had volunteered hers on Sunday!  Whew!  That would work. 



The fryers actually worked great, but, I think Mom was  afraid I would die of heat stroke.  Actually it wasn't bad--we had a nice breeze and it is hot making soap by double boiler  whether you are in an air  conditioned kitchen or outside!  

On both of the next two days I really enjoyed using the big kitchen's of my friends and hope I didn't wear  out my welcome!  Both gals called later to request soap for them or someone else, so it worked out ok, I guess!!!

No comments: