Monday, July 5, 2010

Ofir, Utah, June 29, 2010


We were able to get away on Tuesday morning to check out Bruce and Susan's camping spot up at Ophir--which is south of Tooele.  I have seen pictures from my Mom and Sister from years past, but, honestly nothing compares to actually being there.  I told Bruce he would have to evict me if Rod and I  ever were able to spend sometime up there. 

                                      

Ophir is one of the oldest communities in Utah and like many there, it got its start thanks to mining.  Today there are around 20 permanent residents with that number swelling to both part-year residents and visitors when it starts to warm up.  I think I would have to stay permanently, in fact--with the closest post office about 15 miles away and satellite internet--I could keep making soap!

The day we went  up, Mom was not feeling well so Bruce, Dad, Susan and I made the drive.  It was a beautiful warm  day with that Utah "breeze" blowing.  We checked out the little store, the park and most of the permanent houses.  Then we drove up to "Casa Cummings".  

                                               

                                       

Bruce and Susan both give tours of the historic village--the rock Jail was kept in it's original spot and then as other building were donated, they moved into spots in the village. All of the houses were restored with as many originals as they could find and family members of the original residents helped out.  Below are some pictures of the village:



Perhaps nothing tells the story here better than the next picture.  This place is very diverse...in the picture below is the Town Hall in the center sitting next to a new residence to the left--and let's just say they are both lovely in their own right.  

                                                                                                                                                                                  
                                           


I can't quite remember what we were trying to look at here, but, the there is no shortage of scenery, old mines and cool stuff to check out.  I do hope Rod and I can come up here some summer and explore!


     

No comments: