Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hampshire IL Coon Creek Country Days Festival, July 30 - August 1, 2010



I decided to try this little community festival since it was so close to Rockford.  They had a nice line-up of music events and it seemed like a great way to spend a weekend.  The only downside was that it was four days long and the evening hours lasted until 11 pm.  Luckily, crafters could pick the days they wanted to come.

So, I decided to drive over on Friday afternoon and setup for the 6 - 11pm hours.  When I arrived, the only people to be found were the Pretzel vendors in the food area.  A short while later, one of the organizers drove up and he helped me find my spot.  The weather was threatening to rain, but, we never got more than a misty sprinkle.  By about 7 pm the sun was out and the bugs too!

I ended up doing alright for a Friday night, making all my expenses and a little profit.  I was looking forward to Saturday--but I had been warned it would be quiet until the evening hours. 

On Saturday, more of the crafters showed up.  There were about 24 crafter/business booths spaced out and by the weekend they had all been filled.  However, there were probably only about 12 true craft booths.  A little disappointing to both those of us looking for a craft show and customers too. 

The best thing about the festival as a whole was the music.  Friday night's lineup was incredible.  I had to ask one customer if that was the band playing or canned music between sets.  They were great!!!  Saturday during the day the music was geared to a younger crowd, so, not my favorite thing.  By Saturday night the good music was playing again along with a FANTASTIC fireworks display. 

Now fireworks I know--living right behind Universal Studios I get to see three sets of fireworks nightly during the summer and Holidays.  But, it's been sometime since I saw the ground level displays.  Both the high stuff and the ground stuff at Hampshire were AWESOME.  I am not using those capital letters lightly, folks! 

On Sunday there was a parade through downtown followed by FREE sweet  corn prepared by a local farm using their old steam tractor as the source for the heat.  Lots of locals came out for both, and some even walked through the craft area.  I think this festival has a bit more growing to do before it will support a true craft show.  But, the organizers have their hearts in the right place--I enjoyed being a part of it!

No comments: