Friday, May 11, 2012

Computer Slowness...ugh!



Anybody who has been nursing an old computer is familiar with slowness that rivals the old days of dial-up service.  Ours is old...I can't even remember when we bought it.  It runs on Windows XP...so that is what, three generations ago or something like that?!  It is an old desktop model that looks pretty much like the one above. 

So, I start thinking it is a virus, malware or spyware.  So, I look at all the programs that seem to cover that kind of problem...and find a half dozen that I have downloaded over the years.  Most of these I  never bothered to purchase--mainly because they promised to clean up my computer for free but didn't.  I finally find one that I liked enough to purchase and run it.  All the scans show minor issues with cookies that I tend to delete on a regular basis by clearing my cache. 

So, I start googling  and come across an article that seems to be perfect for my situations.  Even the name fits...Slow Computer Syndrome.  The fact that it is geared to students and not computer geeks is really helpful.   I tried almost everything they suggest and I think the computer is better.  But the real test will be when Rod is using it this summer.  I hope it gets through o.k.  Fingers crossed, please!



1 comment:

JackieSoap said...

Note: The computer somehow restored itself sometime over the summer so I came back to a messed up harddrive with all my pictures and documents gone. I tried system restore, but, it was too late to get the dates back in April that would have saved my having to copy things over from my laptop. Oh, well. We now have my father in laws computer as a backup--it has Vista...so a generation newer!