Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lake Placid Country Fair, February 3, 2008



Mom, windblown after a day selling soap!




This weekend I went south of Orlando to the center part of the state...Lake Placid...the Caladium capital of the WORLD, don't ya know! LOL It is pretty for Florida, nice rolling hills, lots of lakes and generally pretty nice folks if you don't mess with anyone's pickup truck.

Now I am not naming names (MOM!) but in these parts you don't open a vehicle door without having a good grip on the door handle because you are liable to have a wind gust rip it from your hand and knock into the truck in the next parking spot...leaving a tell tale burgundy paint smudge...and hopefully no ding. Crap, I was worried the whole way back to I-4 that a redneck in a pretty green pickup was gonna run us off the road into a swamp.

This did actually happen ( the ding not the crash into the swamp), along with the same un-named person forgetting to leave a tip for the nice guy at the four star "Bob Evans" we ate at on Saturday night. Jeez, we were all wierded out over that. I mean, the guy brings my Mom the requested bowl full of lemon to accompany the iced tea, he fills that and my hot water tea thingy up several times, he fixes our bill when he brings out the two grilled chicken breast instead of the single I had orderd and finally dashes back into the kitchen and changes our dessert from apple pie to cherry cobbler when we see he has ordered the wrong thing on the check. I mean, dang he worked hard for that $5 tip. Wish I could have tipped the guy a $20...but he sure was sweet when Mom walked in there tonight and apologized for forgetting to leave the tip the night before.

Oh, but we weren't to taxed to not go get a nice pedicure and quick manicure and some new sandals too! Ah, what a nice girls weekend. :)




Oh, and the hotel (the Kenilworth Lodge)...cool historic old place built in 1916 that now seems to be the winter home for a bunch of old grey haired golfers from up North. (In the summer I guess it is a younger crowd with bicycle rallies being held). Still it has all its character and charm, a huge deep old cast iron tub with shower in our room and I swear it...a heart shaped toilet in one the rooms my crafter friends stayed in last year. Oh, and lots of peeling paint too...but not in a seedy or down on your luck kinda way...just a weathered look to it. Thank God for the Check Inn Card (if you travel, google it)...I got it for under $50 a night with a nice but carb loaded breakfast. You had to search hard for some protein, but, I sniffed out the boiled eggs and nuked them for a real (kinda sorta) breakfast.

Off for a weekend now. Yippee. Gonna play with my parents before getting back to work. If I was up North I would be skiing...I swear!

No comments: