Monday, March 7, 2011

Art Fiesta, New Smyrna Beach, February 26 & 27, 2011


This show has been suggested by artists over the years, but, I finally made it to the Spring show in New Smyrna Beach at the end of the February.  My spot was not in prime real estate.  It was hidden at the back of the show, off the main arteries through Fort Park.  But, I did see several of the customers I added at the Fall show--Flamingo Follies.  SO, it will stay on the calender for another try...and hopefully a better spot on the street!


The view out the front of my booth was nice--the intercoastal.  And it was FANTASTIC weather--in the 70's, so all was not lost.  I stayed with two friends--Ronna of Ronnacards and Joan who makes copper and glass jewelry AND paints.  Joan had a terrific show, Ronna's was about like mine.  But we had a great hotel on Daytona Beach  (Perry's right on the beach with a great balcony) and one great meal at Outback.  AND one meal that SUCKED at a tourist trap towards Main St.  Yuck.  School lunch type meal with mystery meat hamburgers and plain school lunch pizza.  


I can't tell you how many customers thought I had the BEST spot in the whole show.  My response:  I would take 100 degree heat out on the street, no breeze--just to have the traffic they had on the street!  :)




Southerners take their historical sites very seriously!  A little more history on the site:   The Turnbull Ruins, a coquina block foundation overlooking the Intracoastal, represents the colonization by Andrew Turnbull from 1766-1777. It's believed that he attempted to build his personal mansion on these coquina remains. A foundation of sea coquina block was set, but work was never completed. The true origination of the ruins is unknown, some theorized that they may be the remnants of a pre-colonial fort or a colonial church.



Sunset as I hit I-4 on the way home!

No comments: