Sunday, April 24, 2011

March 2011 Shows


During the month of March I did a couple small, new-to-me shows including one in St. Augustine at St. Anastasia Church and one at  Oviedo Presbyterian Church.  Both were pretty small shows, but, I had a good time seeing crafter friends and a few regulars. 

I did my old standby shows--first the St Augustine Seafood Festival where I got to spend some time with my friend Susan who lives in historic downtown.  The guy below was my artist  neighbor to the south.  He had these wonderful carved fish and birds...I hope he is back next year--I want one bad!  I heard him working over there and had to walk over and get a picture of the work in progress.  The show was a bit slower than normal, but, it is one of my favorites as I get to see people like my friend Russ, the Clean Air Candle guy.  

One of the cool things I did this weekend was go out to dinner with Susan at a raw food restaurant called Present Moment Cafe.  OK, how to describe what raw food is--think organic, vegetarian and unprocessed.    I got to meet the owner and her son (Yvette and Nathan) and had an absolutely fantastic (and healthy) dinner--oh the flavors cannot be described.  Check out their website at:    http://www.thepresentmomentcafe.com/

I talked to Susan later about finding more restaurants of this type and she recommended:   http://www.happycow.net/    Maybe you can find a restaurant near you to have a dining experience you won't soon forget.  Now, I remain a meat eater, probably always will be, but, I sure enjoyed it and can't wait to go back.  


I also did the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens again at the end of March.  The show is being run by a new gal and I think we encountered a learning curve year.  There were too many changes--an increase in the cost of getting in for customers and some changes that affected the artists.  I hope this show goes back to what worked in the past.  We seemed to lose the whole day on Sunday--too few customers and no reason for it.  

Luckily the weather was fantastic at all these shows and that was so appreciated.  Mom and Dad arrived for the month but spent a bit of time down in Naples with a friend and then sometime over at the beach abpve St. Pete when my sister, Jodie, came at the end of the month.  We had some other fun that I will detail in my next post.    

No comments: