Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Trusted Stick Blender: RIP


I lost two trusted pieces of soapmaking equipment this summer.  My Braun Coffee Grinder and the Stick Blender (aka Immersion Blender) I bought long before I started making soap.  Both succombed to falls onto either my terrazzo floors or the concrete floor in the Illinois production space (aka my brother's old bedroom). 

I had dropped the stick blender many times, so, years ago I bought a backup.  It has been awaiting jumping (change that to...spinning) into service.  I can say, it doesn't quite fit my hand as well as the old one.  But, I am sure I will adjust one day. 

The coffee grinder only took one drop and it was a goner.  If my father-in-law were around I am sure he could have rigged it to work again.  But, I couldn't even get it apart to peer into the insides to see if something had come loose.  In replacing it I was happy to see they have become much easier to find and they are way cheaper.  I found one at Walmart for only $15...the old one was around $60.  The new one is nice and strong and even easier to clean.  Yippee!

Next up I have to get some new stainless steel stock pots.  I see they are on special at Old Time Pottery.  Let's see if they are actually in stock when I hit the store first thing in the morning... 

No comments: