Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fat Reading List: Part 1



I needed to start off my New Year's resolution to lose weight so I turned to my library's audiobooks and came up with Jen Lancaster's book:   Such a Pretty Fat:  One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big; Or, Why Pie Is Not the Answer.  I have loved Jen's writing style since reading "Bitter is the New Black"  (book) and "If you Were Here" (audio). 

In Pretty Fat, she is funny, says what she thinks and honestly, anyone who is fighting the fat bug is o.k. in my mind. It was sobering however when  she realizes, "Even when I lose 50 pounds, I will still be fat...SHIT!"  So, I love her because we are the same.  Well, I am not a narcissist....you certainly wouldn't have found me in a sorority in college...and none of my t-shirts are designer!  Jen won't be judged by the digits on a scale and neither will I.  LOL



Another book I listened to was Skinny Bitch, by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.  I don't know what I expected (perhaps a bit more laughter and a lot less slaughter house slams) but it did make a point--DO NOT EAT CRAP and while less emphatic but just as important:   do not eat ANYTHING with a face.  It backed it all up with science but the slaughter house visuals just ruined it all for me.  I am a farm girl after all and I loved the movie with Claire Dane's playing Temple Grandin (who revolutionized the design of stockyards making them more humane). Seriously, I think my food police friend, Lynn, must have co-authored this book...it sounds like she does when she talks to me about using sweetners...

     
Finally, I just needed a book to keep me moving on the treadmill and Susannah Charleson's book, Scent of the Missing, fit the bill perfectly.  I loved it!  I laughed, I cried and I almost fell off the treadmill during one particularly descriptive parts.  Her love of animals shines through as she talks about raising a pack of Pomeranians and cats while trying to train a new search and rescue puppy.  Her love of her profession, the team members and their SAR dogs makes it a quick, informative and satisfying read.


No comments: