Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sourdough Starter Pt. 3--Bagels


When I started this great sourdough experiment I had no idea it would lead to one of my favorite treats--BAGELS!  I couldn't quite wrap my head around the idea that bagels were boiled before they were baked, but, once I thought about it I was totally ready to try.

Using my part whole wheat starter, I tried out this Food.com recipe:  Chef Jules Sourdough Bagels.  I was surprised it took only 2 tablespoons of starter.  But, after proofing it overnight with the one and a half cups of both water and flour, I knew it would be OK.  I am pretty sure if you have a nice strong starter, it will work for you, too!  The only adjustment I made was to the salt--which I cut down to 1/4 teaspoon. So here's the process in a nutshell...


Add the flour and water and let it sit covered overnight

After an hour on the bread machines dough cycle and another 10 minutes kneading
additional flour into the dough--I had what I was looking for--a nice firm bagel dough.
Let it double in size and then cut into 12 balls of dough

I am not very good at making nice round balls of dough--I need my "Roll Queen" Mom
around for that.  But after making a hole in the center and stretching them out a
bit--I had a dozen bagels. 
Then it was into a pot of boiling water for each of them.  This is what gives a
bagel it's distinctive crusty outside layer.  
On to a baking sheet, swipe with a bit of egg white and
then I coated a light dusting of Lynn's Seasons in the Sun
Sea Salt and Black Pepper Herb blends.



So, out of the oven and into the toaster and we had really delicious bagels with a smear.  I didn't even know my hubby liked bagels--but he does now!   Since I had so many, I took a bag over to my friends Tim and Patti.  Patti called after she got off work and told me she had one two different ways.  The first half with butter and honey, the next half with jam!  They enjoyed them too!

Have I told you my Bagel Man stories from my SIU days?  Oh, after a night drinking at the bars, my roomie Cindy and I would stop outside the bar where the Bagel Man was set-up.  He had a cool little grill cart that he rolled out as people were leaving the bars.  He would toast the bagels on the grill.  Then add slices of cucumber and raisins!  OMG, they were heaven!  I am running to the grocery list on the frig as soon as I finish this post to add raisins to the list.

SO, does anyone have any other sourdough recipes they love?  How about other flavored bagel recipes??  I would love to hear about them.

No comments: