Friday, July 11, 2014

Blue Moon Cottage --My Projects

 
Before closing, when I was looking at Blue Moon Cottage trying to figure out if the TINY house would work for Rod and I, I never expected to want to change a thing.  The previous owner, Jan the Master Gardener said, "Gardens should not be static.  They need to change to reflect your interests.  Sometimes, you will want to simplify; sometimes you will want to expand and enlarge.  So don't be married to a certain way of doing things".  I think I said something like, "I LOVE it just the way it is".   That was until I tried to pull my hand cart through the gate, to the back office--what will become the Soap Factory.  First I encountered the very uneven cobble stones, then that wood "platform" in the picture above.  Then the too tiny gate and then seemingly an acre of mulch!  So, my first project at the cottage was born!
  
Actually I am lying.  My first project was accomplished with the help of my nephew Roger.  The weather was nice and cool and I was enjoying having the windows open.  But, the back door had a storm window on it--I could not find a screen anywhere...so it had to GO!  Menards had a sale on the kind that you pull down the screen and it comes down halfway--perfect with a small dog who would scratch out a screen if it went all the way down.  I had never put on a storm/screen door before and the salesman said sarcastically that their training video said it only takes FIVE minutes.  I laughed out loud at that...saying that in my case it would probably take five hours.  That was just about right--what with having no tools, incomplete directions and having to make three trips to my Dad's house to borrow the right tools.  My nephew suggested that a trip to Harbor Freight might be in order!

 
As you can see, I pulled up the wood platform, and then proceeded to find several hidden cobble stones to put in the dirt that was uncovered.  I lucked out and found several under the steps to the  Soap Shop.  It took several hours, but, I think I will be happier when I have to bring the cart through the gate the next time.  My Dad with the back problems will certainly like a little less "wobble in the cobbles"!!

 
 
The other project, the cart walkway, was started the day after Fourth of July.  I started getting 30 patio stones at a time.  Then added 20 bags of mulch.  Then the next day, I added another 40 stones, and some paver edging to keep the walkway from migrating to the low point in the mulch area.  Finally this morning I finished with another 16 blocks, 4 bags of mulch and the finished product is below! 

 
 
The next project will involve a scrub sponge and brush, a gallon of paint and a ladder to paint the back side of the house that is the main entryway.  Come on over and wear your painting clothes!

No comments: