Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Susan's Visit, January 2-3, 2009

OK, that was my first opportunity to write "2 0 0 9" and I did it without screwing up. Yeehaw!

My friend from the Keys, Susan, came up to visit us the day after New Years. It was lots of fun--even though we went to a MALL. Actually we went to TWO MALLS! LOL Now I can stay away from them for another 6 months or so!

First up was the Florida Mall which happened to have two stores Susan needed to visit. Her choices down in Tavernier are kind of limited, so, luckily the Harry and David's up here was close by. We also stopped in to Sears to check out blue jeans. No luck with the jeans, but, lots of luck at the after Christmas sale at H&D's. Yum, I think I gained 5 pounds just being there. And the Mall was mobbed with people. We were lucky to find a parking spot close and we made it in and out without too much trouble.

Oh, yea. I forgot to tell you about M & M World. LOL Yes, there is really a store for collectible M&M stuff (including a tote bag made out of candy wrappers for about $300)!! Plus every single color known to man. At $2.99 a 1/4 pound, we weren't too tempted. But, if you have a crush on the Green M&M or the Yellow Peanut M&M, you can get your action figure there!

Next, we ran back to the house to pick up Rod to go to the Millenium Mall to go to the Cheesecake Factory. The wait was over an hour. It was packed here too--where are all these people coming from?!?!? Didn't they get the memo about the economy?! :)

Rod and Susan had never been before, so it was fun seeing their reaction. Besides having great cheesecake, they have a pretty big menu with LOTS of variety. Rod got a chicken dish (he would have gotten steak but didn't want to splurge for a $20 or $30 entree), Susan got the Oriental Chicken Salad and I got the quesadillas off the appetizer menu! Yes--I have been there before--eat light and enjoy the dessert! Susan got a piece of the Banana Cheesecake (her first choice the Vanilla Bean was still frozen--remember I said it was super busy) and Rod and I split the Godiva Cheesecake. Yummy, yummy, yummy. The diet starts Monday...




Saturday morning we had breakfast at a local spot--Peach Vally Cafe. It is owned by the same people who do the Stonewood Grill and benefits from the same training for their staff. Nice people, great food but a little pricier than your average diner breakfast. Not bad for a once in a while treat!


Then Susan and I packed up for a day at Universal Studios. The weather was terrific, the lines were pretty short and we saw a bunch of new rides at the old movie park. For me, I think the Mummy Ride, Men in Black, Disaster (with Christopher Walken) and the Simpson's ride were all hits. We also made it over to Islands of Adventure to do the Hulk Roller Coaster. Lots of walking, not too much waiting and a nice time to spend with someone I don't get to see very often! We did make one stop in the Candy shop to oogle the carmel apples...but we passed. I was still feeling cheesecake guilt! LOL





No comments: