Saturday, December 21, 2013

Newest Shea Butter Soap -- Pineapple

 
 
It's quite the story how a new soap is born.  In this case it started 15 years ago with me learning to make soap, but, I won't bore you with the details of that.  Over the years I ask customers to tell me if I don't have a soap they want.  It may be a scent they just love.  It might be one they sniffed at a bath and body shop.  It may be a candle they have that they want to use the same scent in the bathroom.  For whatever reason, a have had many request over the last couple of years for Pineapple. 
 
Now, I just can't make every scent that someone wants.  I already have over 50 soap scents, and many more bottles of essential oils and fragrance oils that I use to make up those scents.  So, when I decided to change up the scents in my Fruity and Fresh category, the Pineapple was the first that came to mind.  First, it was different than anything I had already.  And, it wasn't a Citrus scent--I was overloaded with those.  So, Pineapple it was. 
 
But, you don't just go to your suppliers and order the first Pineapple fragrance you find.  You order from several suppliers.  You order several different pineapple from those suppliers.  You collect them all in one place and start making test batches.  If you get lucky, it works the first time.  Let's just say, that never happens!  In this case, I had three samples I decided to mix and the result was very good.  So good I sold the first batch and with a very minor tweak, I will be using this blend in the future. 
 
So then you have to name your new creation.  How did that name come about?   As I was thinking about this soap, I was drawn a couple ways as I brainstormed.  First, of course, came the thought of a pineapple upside down cake!  You know me, all about FOOD.  Then I got to thinking about how a pineapple is a sign of welcome and hospitality--which led to thinking about Lynn.  Well, many of you know my good friend, Lynn Upson the SpiceLady, is a yoga instructor in her other life. So...yoga??? And then, came the thought of that whole body yoga pose, the downward dog…and how the benefit of this one pose can strengthen and rejuvenate your whole body.  That is what I think this scent in my wonderful shea butter soap will do for your skin—your biggest organ!  So, now you have spent a couple minutes in my chaotic brain.  Phew, glad to get that one named!

No comments: