Thursday, July 24, 2008

Baking for the Fair, week of July 21st


In my quest to win more blue ribbons at the esteemed Boone County Fair in Belvidere, IL, I have begun my baking experiments. So far I have made a variation of the Cockeyed Chocolate cake from Peg Bracken's, "I Hate to Cook Book" and some diabetic oatmeal cookies adapted from the same book.



Thumbs up on the cookies but I will make them even better over the next week. They are a tad too cake-like for my taste, so I will be adjusting the applesauce and the flour a tad to see if I can get what I want.


Thumbs down on the cake so far. Don't get me wrong--the recipe from the book is superb. BUT, I always have to tweak things a bit. Plus, I entered the diabetic cake category, so, I am stretching even further. The cake turned out to be the texture of a say.....a muffin. But the chocolate flavor was nice. Rod ate it, so that says something!

I have been on the phone a lot with my nephew Travis as he tries to duplicate my Mom's award winning yeast rolls. He poured boiling water on the yeast and lukewarm water on the fats, so he had to make a second batch. My sister assured me that the dough on the second run was delicious. The final batch turned out great and we will see what results he gets on his 4-H project at the Rock County Wisc. Fair.

Jodie, my sister, is also entering a diabetic cookie at the Boone Fair. SO, we will be battling over that...actually we will be sharing tips...I hope! She is the expert when it comes to making a recipe over to be healthier.

My Mom missed the entry deadline for the Fair this year. She had finally planned on doing a big decorated cake. That's ok. It will give her a year to plan her masterpiece! LOL

No comments: