Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mom and Dad's Kitchen Remodel, August 18-29, 2008

Hm, what have I learned from this year's "PROJECT"?
One, my Mom and I will never have a wallpapering business...ever!
Two, my Mom and I make decisions very differently. I make them pretty quickly, and usually don't change my mind. Mom, takes forever to make them...and then changes her mind...often!
Three, I want to remodel my kitchen too!
When I arrived at their house the first week of August, they had already had new countertops installed, so that looked great. Mom had painted the backsplash a coordinating color and they had decided to keep the cabinets as they were. I suggested adding hardware, but, they like them as they are...so who am I to change their minds?!




Mom had also ordered wallpaper which arrived the first week I was there. We had one interesting thing happen when we looked at one of them. It had a 21 INCH repeat...and the paper itself was a tiny little design repeated every 3-4 inches. Apparently it had been created on the diagonal...or something really stupid. We had planned to run the paper in short drops down from the ceiling and then up under the soffet. That plan would be scratched, but, more on that later.

The first order of business was repainting the ceiling white. I can't remember anything going wrong on this phase. BUT, I can honestly tell you it does not help to have someone sitting in another room giving you "supervision". LOL Dad kept seeing shadows we had missed. I insisted it was just wet paint vs. drying paint...and based on how it looked the next day....I was right.
So, the next day we started out around lunch time. We immediately knew that our plan to run the paper under the soffet was not going to work. One, we would have had to sand the plaster completely smooth...and that wasn't gonna happen on my watch. Second, we just didn't have enough paper. So, we started off our plumb line over the refrigerator and got going...only to quickly find out the soffet wasn't level. So, our little design was trailing off the bottom edge of the soffet as we neared the door. If we had enough paper I would have pulled off what we had put up, but, we just didn't have that luxury. SO, we had to make do...this is the only part of the project I wish we could have made right. The good news is that Mom and I will probably be the only ones to notice it...as it happens near the corner of the room where someone really wouldn't be able to see it. I hope!

We got the main part of the room papered and bordered before I had to go out. Which leads me to my next blog entry...and perhaps to another project to complete at my house. :) More on the remodel another time!

No comments: