Sunday, September 14, 2008

Preparing for the Lake Geneva Venetian Art and Craft Show, August 11-16, 2008


Last year I tried to wrap most of the soap I had made for the trip before I left. But, I found lots of the labels got scruffed up...so this year I decided to travel with NAKED SOAPS! LOL So, the week after the Fair we needed to wrap a LOT of soap.

Dad and I did most of the wrapping as Mom had to work and she had a report to do for the State Grange meeting. It was a grueling four days. I can't even tell you how many bars we did...but it was a ton of them. Literally! The warehouse up there worked out very nicely. It was close by and convenient to get to whenever we needed to get over there.

I was planning on doing the Lake Geneva show by myself this year. Jodie and Travis had decided to do the Labor Day weekend show...and Mom had to work on Saturday. But Dad convinced her to come up after she was done in the afternoon. So, I started out the setup and most of the work day on my own, but, I had really great company from the artists around me.
First was the Barbara, the gal doing pressed flowers who lived in Lake Geneva. Then there were the sisters behind me selling their beautiful handmade glass bead jewelry (she did really amazing lampwork). And of course the metal guy was there spread out on the parkgrounds on the western end of the show. That guy has lots of customers, so, I was able to do a lot of people watching.

The show itself ended up being ok--it is still not a great show for me...but I do love the location. I had hoped that the good weather we had would translate to great sales, but, although I did LOTS better than last year, its still just a fair show for me. At least I was able to find a cheaper hotel using the Corporate Lodging Card this year!!

Mom did end up coming up late Saturday. We had a great prime rib and mojito dinner at the Waterfront in Delevan. Then we spent an hour looking for the cabin Mom's family used to have on Lake Delevan. It was hard finding it, but, we did. We also caught the most beautiful sunset and moonrise that night. I am not sure the pics will do it justice...

Sunday afternoon, I had lots of company. My Aunt Patricia and Uncle Russel came up along with cousins Kim and Kevin. Then my sister came over for an hour or so from Beloit. She left just in time for some rain to roll in. Luckily she helped me roll all my overstock boxes to the van before she left. Thanks, Jodie!!!
And thanks to the nephews and nieces for helping dry out my sidewalls the next day. I thank you all...especially Trav. I will treasure your two footprints (the ones I missed wiping off!) on my tent. LOL

No comments: