Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mt Clemens, MI Stars and Stripes Festival, June 26-28, 2009

Shortly after the show in St. Charles I headed back to Florida and ROD!!! I was really missing him. For some reason, it is a lot easier when I go on the six week long trip in August. Maybe because that trip is half vacation??? These work trips are not so much fun when you can't get home during the week.

I had another blowout on the way back down so now I have four new tires. I think the HOT temps we have had in the south played a part...I drove in nearly 100 degree heat all through Georgia. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, luckily!

Rod had taken off some time for a trip we ended up not taking. Remember those supposedly free plane tickets that I had through T-Mobile? Well, let's just say that two tickets that end up costing as much as a whole ticket are not really free. A $25 fee to cover taxes or whatever...sure. But almost $200--jeez, I think that's ridiculous.

Anyhow, we hung out the first couple of days and then I hit the soap pots. I think I was in the kitchen three days solid. It felt so good to get out of the kitchen the next week, I was overjoyed. LOL


But, once again I needed to head North for those shows I had booked in Michigan. First up was one in Mt. Clemens, Michigan. Mt Clemens is a little town about 20 miles north of Detroit. The little downtown streets where the show was put on are best described as "cockeyed"! LOL Very confusing to get around, but, very cute for a show.

The name of the show was the "Stars and Stripes Celebration" obviously to celebrate the Fourth, but, it was also a BIG music festival. For those of you that went for the music, I apologize, I just am not a big music follower. Those around me said that the music part of the show is fantastic...and you often see Kid Rock or Eminem in attendance or on stage playing with the acts.

My neighbors on both sides were great. First were the puzzle makers, Jean and Wayne. They are an older couple from the area who do scroll saw wood puzzles in lots of patterns---from barnyard animals, dragons to all kinds of dog. Their prices were great and I picked up several for stocking stuffers at Christmas.

My other neighbors were Kristyn and Rick who made the decorated kids blackboard chalk boxes. They are in Florida for part of the year (Michigan the rest) and travel all over the place doing shows. I am really surprised I have not seem them around somewhere in the last ten years. Rick was quite a salesman, but, Kristyn was sweet as can be and gave me lots of show leads for the Midwest.

The show itself was three LONG days long. Basically until 11 pm Friday and Saturday nights and until 8pm on Sunday. I can't say it was a good show, but, I certainly made more than I would have in Florida. So, all in all no complaints. And a huge compliment to Tom and Jackie, metal sculptors and jewelers who do shows in Michigan for running the show. They really did lots of extra little things for the artists--bringing water around several times a day, doughnuts and coffee in the morning. And a great breakfast on Sunday morning at the local bistro where they handed out the prize money for the best in show awards.

No comments: