Thursday, July 16, 2009

Muskegon MI, Summer Celebration, July 3-5, 2009

I left Rockford at a different time this time to see if I could get through Chicago with fewer time troubles. I didn't. BUT, I do enjoy driving through the city and want to get back just to do some things (more than the usual Cubs game) there before I head back to Florida in September.
My show the weekend of July 4th was in Muskegon, Michigan--along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Muskegon was a big lumber town back in the day and it is evident by the big mansions that dot the city streets. Many have been restored to their latter day splendor--one to the tune of about $6 million! I loved the stonework in the architecture in the historic downtown. The pictures in today's blog are some of my favorites--there were about 50 more to choose from! Most of these mansions have been converted to public buildings now.
The show ran from Friday through Sunday with the hours a bit more like I am used to. We were done each day by 6 pm and on Sunday by 4 pm. Nice! The show was a bit slow for me, but, two Michigan soapers were also there. I was on one of the main streets, but, not in the park where my two friends from Florida were in the "art" part of the show.
I have not mentioned much about the weather the last two trips. It has been unseasonably cool. Both weekends so far on this trip the temps have gotten down to the 50-60's so I have been able to camp in my van. This obviously saves a lot of money on hotels and I really do sleep good in the van with my curtains up, my sleep mat and all the things I need close by. I do a "bath" each morning which isn't too bad either--except as my hair gets longer it is sure not as easy as with short hair!!!
The fireworks display on Saturday night was awesome. And, that coming from a former Disney employee and someone who sees the fireworks from Universal Studios Orlando right outside my door every night they have them! They also had music down by the waterfront, but, again I didn't partake. This trip I started reading (again) the book by Greg Mortenson, "Three Cups of Tea". It took this time. I am loving it--check it out at your library.
The show again finished ok--not great but better than Florida so I am happy. I started back for Rockford but hit horrible traffic jams in the construction zones in Michigan. What sucks is that there was no sign of construction--don't ya hate that?!?!? It added over an hour extra travel time to the trip. That was bad, but, even worse was hitting the traffic getting out of town from the Fourth and Taste of Chicago!!! LOL

By the way--extra credit question for you smarties out there! Where the heck do the unusual names in Michigan come from? I know in Illinois many of the weird ones come from Indian tribes. Need to check on this...

No comments: