Saturday, July 25, 2009

Robin's Visit, July 19-26, 2009


One of my high school buddies just graduated from Rockford College (liberal arts school with an accounting degree) and to treat herself, she decided to come to Florida for a week of vacation--without her hubby! She starts back at Rockford College this Fall to get her MBA--go ROBIN!!! Robin and I were really close in school so I was looking forward to reconnecting with her.



It was a real project picking her up from the airport. Those security people will barely let you stop your vehicle to let your passenger in...and if your party isn't right there when you drive up, they force you to go around and around and around. Argh...times have changed...


We spent the first few days going through yearbooks and playing out at the Disney parks...and one night Robin cooked for us. This is just a sample of the yummy meal, the appetizer, the main course was enchiladas. It was so good and so nice to have someone else do the cooking!
On Rod's days off we decided to go to Cocoa Beach. We stayed near the pier and took advantage of the great beach weather. It was packed with people, so lots of fun people watching. And, Robin loaned me the book, The Time Travelers Wife, so I had a good beach read. Which is partly responsible for the sunburn I got!!



That night we went over to restaurant row at Port Canaveral and walked around. One of the Disney cruise ships were going out which is fun to see. And when we were through with dinner at Rusty's we headed back to the Pier and walked on the beach a bit. There were only a few people out, so it was nice and quiet.

The next morning we were up early and hitting the beach again for sunrise. We decided to spend the day at Jetty Park for a change of scenery.



We did the obligatory turtle and pelican watching.


And then were treated to this submarine coming and going from the port. Whatever they had to offload or onload was done quickly...I don't think they were in port more than an hour.


I spent most of the day up here in the observatory while Robin and Rod sat on the beach. That sunburn was bad, but, I certainly enjoyed the book!! We stayed until just past lunch time and then beat it back to Orlando. The next morning I took Robin to get her rental car as she was driving up to Macon, Georgia to see another friend for the day. When she got back, I turned her onto the show Deadliest Catch and I gave her my Season One DVD's to get caught up.



All in all it was a great visit and I can't wait to be back in Rockford to be able to spend more time with her!









No comments: