Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mid March Blues, 2010



I am kind of bummed this week, I got two rejections for craft shows.  First, the dreaded Fernandina Shrimp Festival rejection came.  That is my LAST time applying to that one...I just can't figure out who I have to sleep with to get in to that show, so, they will have to do without my jury fee in the future.  BAH!  Then I had applied late to the Spring Green show up near Madison, Wisconsin...and I didn't get into that one either.  So, I will apply to that one again on time next year and see if my chances are any better.  I am starting to wonder about my jury pictures.  Maybe it's time to upgrade them.  BUT, as a good friend reminded me--when one door closes, another opens!

SO, with that in mind I have started booking shows for the summer.  It looks like my summer Midwest shows may start a bit early this year in May (thank you Shrimp Fest...BAH again to you!)  :)  I met up with some really nice crafters this summer--Jeff and Deb Foernssler of LB's Wood Shoppe---and they have been turning me onto some shows that I will be checking out this summer. 

I am still looking into shows in May, but, I have already applied to several in June--Libertyville, IL and Tooele, Utah.  That one is near Salt Lake City and I honestly would not be making the trip--except that this is the last year my Aunt Susan will be running the show.  So, along with my parents we will be making that drive out the end of June. 
 


I also had some time to clean up the backyard freeze damage and get some weeding down.  The area above was covered with about 6 inches of dead leaves from my 30 foot tall Schefflera.   I got FIVE cans full of dead stuff!  I guess it's a good thing I am going to a plant show this weekend!  LOL  I cut back the shrubs along the east fence line (the first pic in the blog), tore out all the dead ones (alamandas, white ginger, heliconia and a purple spiky plant I don't know the name of??)  and replanted the Lemongrass to a sunnier spot by the new $500 pool pump. 



To the left of the pump is where the heliconia and white ginger were...I am hoping they come back.  They grow like a weed  during the summer which shields the pump and pool equipment nicely!  So does anyone know the name of the plant below?  My friend Warren gave them to me, and I am sure they will come back eventually!



Now if my yard guy will ever show up again, maybe we can get a quote on the resodding of the backyard!  And after I get a few plants to fill in for the dead ones, it will look lush and tropical once again.  LOL  Not that it ever really looked that lush and tropical to start with!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: