Thursday, March 18, 2010

St Augustine Seafood Festival, March 13 & 14, 2010

Well, the week leading up to St. Augustine this year was FULL of soapmaking.  I had taken a bit of a break while Mom and Dad were here with us, so, I had some catching up to do.  Rod and I also slowed the house projects down just a bit!  Whew...nice having a break.

On the Thursday before the show the weather went berserk.  About 10:30 a.m. the local NBC station weather guy and gal cut in on the regular programming.  They were on ALL day.  It drives me nuts when they do this during hurricane season, but, for a thunderstorm too?!?!  I don't get it, the weather is bad--keep an ear to your weather radio and an eye to the sky.  If I wanted to watch The Weather Channel, I would switch myself!

SO, the good news is that I had no other outdoor things to work on while I was finishing up getting ready for the show.  AND, St. Augustine didn't get any of the rain on Thursday!  After getting an email at midnight and then another one at 6 a.m. from the show organizer, I decided to leave early for St. Augustine to hopefully get set up between the worse of the rain bands.  It was raining a bit when I got there at noon, but, not too bad. 

We were told we could open up Friday, or not, deciding on what we wanted to do.  I had made the decision not to open, but, then after doing some fabric shopping, I changed my mind.  The sky was brightening, the sun started to peek out--and I was set up--so I opened!!  I did a little business from 3-6 p.m. so it was worth it.

Saturday and Sunday were both bright and sunny for the most part.  Not warm, but, sunny!  BUT the wind was blowing at a steady 15 -25 mph and I of course was on the windward side of things.  When I set up, I expect the worst.  So I was ready for just about anything.  LOL  I trust my gear to keep my tent and products safe, but, if Mother Nature decides to throw a hissy fit, there is nothing you can do to be 100% safe. 

By the end of the weekend, I was really sick of the wind.  Even though I was on the first row, I kept expecting to turn around and find something blowing into me.  It is oddly disconcerting.  I think there must be an equivalent of  "cabin fever" for places that are windy all the time--I don't know what's its called, but I am sure someone will tell me!

We had the usual contingent of three soapers here this weekend.  Blue Dolphin's Mary Anne, and a new to me company of melt and pour soapers, Donna and Terri from The Soap Detail.  All were really nice and I traded for some spray lotion for soap! 

The most memorable thing that happened was late in the show on Sunday.  All of a sudden you could hear a lady yelling, "Catch the dog, catch the dog!!!"  And here comes a little weiner dog dragging a leash while evading every single person who tried to get him.  He made it the whole back side of the Events Field (where the RVs are parked), past the basketball court to the playground before he looped back around.  On the return trip he must have been getting winded, because his older owner squatted down and spread her arms and he came running right back to her.  I am so happy the little guy had a good run and didn't get out onto US 1! 

Hm, I can't find my camera, so no pictures yet!

No comments: