Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Delray Affair, April 9-11, 2010


This year's Delray...I am just so glad it is over!  It was a complete mess getting set up.  I arrived about 4:30 a.m. to find the spaces I thought we would be occupying.  Linda of "We're Wired" had called back in December to make sure  her booth, my booth and the Fountain People (Lisa and Peter) would all be together and pretty close to our old spots of the past 8 years.  Well, let's just say that the promotor's definition of "right next to each other" and our definition DO NOT MATCH!  LOL 


That's Lisa and Linda during our rain delay on Sunday afternoon--I was reading a book in my tent just acrossed the way.  Peter's standing up looking the other way.

                                           

More rain delay.  The die-hards were out shopping, but, not quite enough of them!  Once this happened, maybe about 3:30 on Sunday (we wre open until 6 pm) artists starting packing out their pictures.  I stayed until the bitter end, or almost the bitter end.  I started packing up slowly about 5:15 (I had finished my book) but I was till shy of my goal for the day.  I finally got tired of just vendors with roller carts walking by the booth!  LOL


This beauty only blooms in April and it pretty much looks like a dead tree that needs to be cut down the rest of the year.  It's called a "Yellow Tabebuia" according to the lady who was taking a picture right next to me.  I had to ask her to spell that!

SO, what's up with Delray?  I hope the Chamber of Commerce will take the show back after many years of excellent promotion and try to right the wrongs the last two years have presented to artists and customers.  I am afraid that the community will not support it if there is booth after booth of China imports and Walmart want-a-be's.  I am not sure how many more years my fellow artist and I will be able to support it IF things do not change.  Namely:  show fee changes with no change in benefits for the artist, unneeded booth relocations, extended hours that make the artist cranky and the finally the promotors general lack of caring about anything but their bottom line. 

No comments: