Monday, April 26, 2010

High Springs Pioneer Days, April 24-25th, 2010


This show is put on by the High Springs Chamber of Commerce.  This year the gal running the arts and crafts decided to emphasize handmade, unique craftwork and do away with the buy/sell and the imports.  I think her efforts were successful, although, she may have cut too many booths.  Many customers commented on how small the show had become.  We like to think of it as quality over quantity--so thank you Donna for your efforts!



Set up on Friday afternoon was a breeze.  The volunteers were all knowledgable and steered newbie me the right direction.   There was plenty of room around me, so, I was able to plan on putting the incense outside the tent in the "left open" spaces next to me.  It was nice having those spaces open--people sat up on the rock wall and enjoyed the musicians playing down in the sinkhole's gazebo.  I never did get to learn more about that sinkhole!  Pete Envall is shown below--he played all country stuff.  I would have sworn it was really Willie singing some of those songs.  Nice Job!  And I am not really into country music!



Later in the afternoon we had a choral group come out and do a nice patriotic medley.  Not sure where they were from, but, it was nicely produced and all the veterans and the locals certainly enjoyed it.  The show was open until 5p.m. and we had slow but steady traffic the whole day with good crowds during the "Shoot Outs".  I did enjoy my front row seats for the music.  Late in the day, I was awarded the 3rd place ribbon--which was accompanied by a certificate good for 25% off next years show fee.  That was a nice little surprise!


On Sunday morning when I arrived many of the vendors were already packed up or getting packed up.  Seems as if the weather forecast had some really severe weather heading our way.   Since I had camped out, I didn't have the current weather.   Depending on who you talked to, I had a hard time figuring out when it would hit.  After flip-flopping a couple times, and maybe because I had been rained on the previous two shows on Sunday afternoon, I elected to start packing up slowly.  I really hated to do this--first I needed the money.  Second, the Chamber had given me an award.  But, sadly, with the bad forecast and most of the vendors leaving I was afraid I would not be staying for much even if the weather held.  My decision was confirmed a little bit later when my buddy Eve called to make sure I was aware of the "red box" weather heading our way. 


While pulling out of the show area, I noticed the Blood Mobile and decided to stop and make a donation.  I might as well leave a little goodwill since I was bailing.  Usually when I give blood my heart rate races to over 100 beats a minute and I have to sit a while to get it under control.  But, this time my heart rate was fine but my iron was low.  Dang...when I was younger I never had to worry about that!  LOL  The girl recommended several foods to eat the night before giving--red meat, chicken, broccoli, leafy greens...and surprisingly the peanut butter in Reese's Cups!  LOL  Now your talking!! 

No comments: