Monday, November 17, 2008

Clearwater Christmas Under the Oaks, Clearwater, FL November 15 & 16, 2008





This is what happens at a craft show when the wind comes up and you are not allowed to stake into the ground to prevent your tent from flying. Luckily none of these tents were mine, but, the bottom right picture is of my friend Annie's tent. It happened overnight and basically the tent was trashed but most of the handmade products inside were ok. The clouds in the background of the top right picture really reflect my mood for the weekend! :)
I wasn't sure what to expect at the show as I had only done it once before when it was a one day Sunday only show. It was probably a self-fullfilling profency on my end, but, I didn't expect much...and that is what I got. My incense rack tipped over about 2pm--it was totally my fault. A nice gal was trying to shop as I was trying to get everything covered up because I could see the rain moving in again.
The lady was over by the incense rack when I was ready to move it in. I should have asked her to wait while I did. I told her I needed to move the rack in but she only needed a couple moments more to get what she needed...and by then it was too late. These things happen FAST, and this time was no different. Nothing was broken--just a big heap of about 2000 sticks of incense on the ground. ARGH!
SO, I packed that up first and then just kept on packing up. I wasn't sure if I would be back in the morning for another try, but, I wasn't going to take any chances that the soap would be lost too. By 4:30 both Annie and I were ready to go. I had taken her my 100 pounds of weights to help keep her tent in place--but you can see how much that helped!!
We got a call in the room about 8:30pm that Annie's tent was about to go over...but Annie decided to just handle the problem in the morning. She arrived shortly after 6am to what she described as a war zone. Most of the tents on the waterfront were either taken down by the vendors or the wind. That is was billed as only 17 mph winds was no consolation for any of the vendors who lost their displays and/or product.
Annie and I walked around after we had gotten her packed up. The promoters--nice gals from the Junior League--offered to find both of us other spots, but, Annie's products needed to hang and mine were staying put in the van. The only thing that would have changed my mind is if the other three soapmakers had packed up and left...but two were still standing, so I decided to cut bait. There's always next weekend, right?!?! Luckily the next three shows are indoors...yippee!




No comments: