Thursday, November 13, 2008

Soapmaking, Wednesday, November, 13, 2008



Any of you who have dropped by my house to pick up soap, know that the term "house" is actually more like "soap factory" anymore! It is an adventure (I am using that word to replace a four letter word that begins with "Cluster ____"). I ran out of room to comfortably make soap about 4 years ago. So, I have been trying to hang on until we move back to Illinois when I can move the business into a bigger production facility. I can't wait--the biggest understatement EVER.

Today's soapmaking was really a snap. I did restocks of Jasmine, Lavender and Oatmeal Milk and Honey. I also did a special variation on the Fir Needle soap so I can sell it as "Oh, Christmas Tree" since it looks like I will be running out of my limited supply of the seasonal soap that I make. I also did a new soap scent--Bergamot Clary Sage 100% Natural. Right after cutting it this morning I am feeling that the Clary Sage is too strong, but, we will see how it cures.

The adventure came as I was clearing off the curing racks to make room for the new soap. This usually means that a couple bars get knocked off as I pull off the bars that are ready to be wrapped. Surprise, nothing fell this time. Little did I know, I had a bigger situation about to occur.

My metal racks basically hold things from floor to ceiling. On the top of one of them I have a plastic storage box--one of those made to fit wrapping paper rolls. This is the box that I put of the shreds and scrap soaps into. Towards the end of the month, that box gets HEAVY...and yesterday after making five batches of soap--IT WAS REALLY HEAVY. As I scooted it off the top shelf, I lost my grip and the whole box of soap scraps ended up on the floor and bottom shelf of another metal rack. Oh crap!

So, now my box isn't quite so heavy (the layer that hit the floor went into the garbage). But, I am really pissed off trying to make do with this cramped, poorly laid out soap room that is the headquarters for the great soap I try to make every week. LOL So, if you get a little cat or dog hair in a bar of Everything but the Kitchen Sink--you will understand?!?!?
The new un-named Bergamot soap!

No comments: