Sunday, November 9, 2008

Odds and Ends of the Illinois Trip

I am so bummed. Most of my Illinois trip pictures are still being held captive on my Mom's computer by a bad CDrom drive. But, my sister emailed me a couple of pictures to help out.
Here are some quick snapshot of some more things I did up in Illinois.

I met up with a high school friend, Robin Glidden (she was the Huskey Mascot at the ballgames) who married a friend of ours, Mike Kenney (aka BamBam). We all were involved in the Rowdies --a cheer club group who got crazy at football games. It was so nice catching up with both of them and to see pictures of their kids and grandkids.
I also got to see one of my best friends from childhood--Judy Brown who now lives in Elgin. Judy lives out in what used to be farm country which is getting runover by development. They actually live in the house her husband grew up in and she takes care of about 1000 laying chickens. So she is the neighborhood Egg Lady. It was cool to see how she proofs the eggs and sizes them. I wish I had thought to take pictures of that.
Jodie and I bought Mom a ticket to a play for her Mother's Day present. It just worked out that I was going to be there too, so I got the last of the unclaimed tickets. We saw the "Church Basement Ladies" play at this cute little playhouse out in the country. We took a bus there, had lunch at a "country club" (emphasis on country, not club) and then on to the play. Based on the typical happenings at a Lutheran church in Minnesota, it was so cute.
I also got to see my niece, Ali, play several volleyball games with her 7th grade teammates. I had a great picture of the back of her uniform that Rod would have loved. He is a big Gator fan--and her nickname on the uniform--Alligator!
Then, one of the coolest "trucks" I have ever seen...my brother-in-law's new GMC Top Kick. Picture a regular pickup truck, but, on major steroids. LOL He picked it up in Gary, Indiana and on the ride to Rockford, he said he got lots of LOOKS. One guy on a motorcycle blew by him, then slowed down to look the truck over...then gave Garry a thumbs up. He is going to use it to tow things--snowmobiles, trailers, boats. So he "needs" it...that's what he told my sister anyway!!!

No comments: