Saturday, February 12, 2011

February Shows so far, February 12, 2011

 The Country Fair in Lake Placid is one of my favorite little shows of the Winter.  And not to disappoint, it usually feels like Winter.  This year we had one great day and one winter-y day--at least it looked like Winter all day long.  I set up Friday afternoon as usual and had dinner at this great little spot adjacent to the park.  They looked like they were doing a great pizza business that night.  And the tables were packed full with diners.  The Clams with Linguine were great!


One of the neat things about this show is that it is very much a "fair" for the community.  Plenty of activities for kids of all ages.  The pictures below were taken primarily for the benefit of my husband, but, there is so much to do.  Plants, food, fresh produce--I usually find a couple bunches of Swiss Chard to make a great spaghetti dish when I get home.  




Since I have been doing the show for several years, I do have a nice following.  The folks below are some new customers who were performing on Sunday morning.  Becca, on the right, is 11 and she and her Mom put on a nice show.  Later in the day we heard one of Becca's friends--and that girl, I swear will be on American Idol one day.  She was fantastic.  This show has not been known for it's quality music--it's more Mom and Pop acts.  But, this year there was a definite improvement.  


 This year with the construction going on in the DeVane Park, we were set up along the road--which many vendors liked a  lot.  I had customers asking me if I was new--and I have done the show 6 years or so.  I KNOW I did better set up along Green Dragon Dr. so I hope they will consider doing this in the future!


I also get to see one of my favorite customers, Jan H., who taught herself how to make soap.  She brought me a bar to try--it's the one wrapped in tissue with a big bow.  I also met up with Kurt Elliott, a soaper from Pennsylvania--he was up at Crystal River a few weeks ago too.  We traded for that round bar of soap.  I can't wait to try both!


And that brings us to the show today at Florida Estates Winery.  It was a beautiful setting under some old oaks out in the middle of nowhere--near Land O' Lakes, Florida.  The "winery" itself was nothing like I imagined--think taking a typical concrete block ranch and plucking it down and putting a "winery" sign out front and you about have it.  I guess the Clermont Lakeridge Winery really is my new standard for wineries.  



There were about 10 vendors set up and if wasn't for long time customers Adrianna and Louis I would not be too happy with my results.  But those two took home a big old bag of soap and made my day!  Thanks so much!!  We had a lot of time to stare off in the distance, so, I caught these two making off with a couple bottles of Red.  


No comments: