Monday, June 30, 2008

Apopka Art and Foliage Festival, April 27, 2008

OK, we used to go to this local show for the money we would make while not having to shell out a lot for travel expenses. Then, we started going back for the local church ladies bake sale tent. NOW, we do this show every year to get more plants!



This year's show was set up a little different...it always changes a bit each year. I have always had a good view of the goings on in the gazebo...usually little kids tap dancing and teenagers trying to sing the latest Mariah or country songs. But this year I was turned a bit towards the inside of the park...so I faced artists and not the gazebo. It was ok, but, I did miss the activity.
NOTE--the church ladies bake sale is still MIA! Darn it!!

We had a pretty good show but the best thing at this show is the herbs and plants. NO, not that kind of HERB!!! I am on a Mojito kick, so I want to grow my own Spearmint and Peppermint. SO, I bought several of those. With the price of a few sprigs of organic Mint at $3 in the grocery store, I think it would be a very good thing! I also picked up a new basil plant to replace one I had killed and a couple others.

I also picked up a new plant that kind of looks like a hibiscus. It is called "Little Red Riding Hood" Mandevilla. It is beauteous! I will put up a pic shortly for those of you interested.
My hanging baskets in the front of the house had started falling apart so I ditched these and bought the fixings for three new baskets which will have a couple different varieties of diffenbachias (dumb canes, for those who are not gardners). I think I can keep these alive...with some help from my yard dude who is going to set up some spaghetti driplines so I don't have to remember to water them.

So, the show was fun. Lots of friends were in the area and dropped by. And this year there were no fires locally, so we didn't have to smell smoke all day! Only one more show to go before the
summer officially starts for me!


No comments: