Monday, June 30, 2008

May 2008--From North Florida to the Florida Keys

Well, not in the whole city of Orlando, but, just in our neck of the woods things have been hopping. :)

First my nearly 90 year Father-in-Law fell and broke his hip. He is in really good shape physically so he will be getting out of rehab this week. He is still showing some signs of dementia, so we are hoping once he gets home and gets back into his normal routine, he will snap out of it. We are hoping that his license will be revoked--the man memorized the eye chart to get his license this time after his eye doctor told him he wouldn't/shouldn't be driving. I imagine this is really hard for someone to lose one of the last forms of freedom and independence. BUT, to risk your assets is just idiotic. And, yes, I would tell him that to his face. Trouble is he won't hear me...he definitely has selective hearing. :)



I spent a week up in North Florida helping my Mother-in-Law get to and from the rehab center, doing projects and cleaning the house. I was also up there for the Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival where my Sister-in-Law and I walked the show on Saturday and made notes of things to buy later. I went back by myself on Sunday to talk to artist friends and then made my big purchases--thinking they would go in the newly redecorated botanical living room. I spent big money in two places--at an antiques booth that had a set up three botanical prints in cool silver frames. Then at the "Pottery Boys" booth were they guys had leaf themed designs that I fell in love with and bought. I picked up other little treasures too--from a textile artist who had cool sea turtle notecards I can use in the master bathroom, a fused glass suncatcher and some painted "Gator" wineglasses for my hubby!






Back on the homefront, I bought some killer new chairs for my dining room. They are awesome--from World Market--beautiful sage green upholstered chairs that you could sit in all day while you are drinking Mojitos and chatting with friends. Trouble is that the new dark chair legs (think mahagony or walnut) don't match the light pine stain on the round table. So what's a girl to do?

Well, refinish the stupid thing! RIGHT?!?! Actually, there were no veneers involved and the table had very simple lines that in theory would be easy to redo. The chemical stripper I bought was not the greatest though. I thought it would be much more of a scraping job, but the chemical thing basically just broke up the surface and we used an orbital sander and sanding blocks with coarse paper to get the rest off.


NOTE: two new projects came up when we had the new furniture in place. First, we really need to PAINT. I am thinking an Eggplant color but maybe not that dark with cream on the trim. Then, the wood window blind is now the wrong color too. So we may move that to the bedroom and order a new one for the dining room. OH, and all that pottery stuff may go in the dining room too!

Then I had jury duty yesterday. Luckily the jury pool I was in didn't want me (YIPPEE) and so I was released early (3pm) to go home and sleep. I have done three shortish trials over the last 6 years or so...so I think when I answered, "NO, I don't really want to serve on this jury, but, I will serve fairly if called", it may have been my ticket out!



Of course the pool is perfect right now. Hurry down if you want to enjoy the refreshing water because it will be HOT in no time. Be sure to ring the bell at the gate, because, it is clothing optional when I am here alone. LOL Believe me it is scary...you will want to ring that bell!

Today was cavity day at the dentist. From the short length of the appointment it was a tiny little bugger. BUT, I am still dealing with that whole right side numb face thing.

We leave to go to North Florida on Thursday (to help bring FIL back from rehab) and then we will be back for a day and then we go to the Keys for a few nights of camping at one of the state parks down there. I can't wait to be alone with hubby for those nights and enjoy the beautiful sunrises and sunsets. AND of course to spend some time at Sloppy Joes listening to the music and getting drunk. We also plan on eating at a couple of our fav places--Senor Frioles in Key Largo, Turtle Kraals and Pepes down in Key West. I will be snorkeling some...although after last year's news story about the hammerhead shark being right off shore out there, I doubt I will be going out very far or for very long. I am a weenie when it comes to swimming in the ocean...I MUCH prefer my swimming pool.

No comments: