Monday, June 30, 2008

St Simon's Island, Georgia April 13, 2008



I just love making the four hour drive to this South Georgia island. Just north of Jekyl Island, this Georgia paradise is other worldly beautiful. It is one of the few places I know that you can shed your workday life the minute you make the drive over the causeway bridge.

The show I do here is in a park, down by the pier in the old downtown area. The lighthouse is just next door. The park has these beautiful old oaks with Spanish moss hanging off them. The sky gets this incredible shade of blue and I hope my pictures can come close to showing the majesty of this place.


Yea, I had to work for two days, but, somehow it just doesn't seem like work in these surroundings. We had great crowds on Saturday and pretty good traffic on Sunday--resulting in a good show profit-wise. The weather that was supposed to blow in on Saturday night never materialized. That meant the city could hold a movie night on the other side of the park on a big 36 foot projection TV.


I wandered over at about 8:30 Saturday night to see the families all snuggled up on their blankets or sitting in their lawn chairs. The movie was "A Night at the Museum" which I had seen, but, I came in at the part where the dinosaur skeleton was trying to play fetch with Ben Stiller. :) What a great place this must be to raise a family. And certainly a wonderful place to visit.

I walked the beach front at the pier each morning and snapped pictures. Many snowbirds are still here, along with the proverbial oldies from the bus tours and of course, my favorites--the locals. Even gas prices could not keep the tourists away...and lots of Atlanta area license plates were seen parked in front of our tents.


On the way home Sunday night I stopped in at Fernandina Beach where my inlaws live. Cody and I stayed up late talking before I collapsed into bed. The next morning we ran some errands, had lunch with my SIL and then I helped my FIL with his computer. A nice but quick visit. I had to get home to finish up the taxes and right out that God-awful check to the IRS. Bummer. BUT, great to be making money and a nice living when so many are in jobs they hate with no satisfaction.

Then a week goes by...

We had a call from my SIL Debbie that my FIL had fallen and broke his hip. He was to have surgery yesterday and we are still waiting to hear how it all went. Now this guy is about 90 years old--he had a quad bypass 25 years ago...and the guy is so disciplined in his eating and exercising that we are hoping that he only spends a short time at the rehab facility. That is if the surgery went well...I wish someone would call!

No comments: