Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cedarhurst Art Show, Mt Vernon IL, September 6 & 7, 2008




I left Rockford after Dad helped me empty out the warehouse and load the van. Bonnie Dog was ready for a ride...for about 15 minutes...then she took her napping position and was quiet until it was time to go potty. Mom had started flu clinics that morning, so, we said goodbye early.




The trip down to southern Illinois was uneventful other than the rain that followed us nearly down to Effingham. At one point coming around Bloomington, someone had lost part of their load which required a quick manuever to miss a 4x4x2 plastic coated "something" in the middle of the slow lane. Luckily every one was on their best behavior...so the semi and I were able to move into the fast lane quick and the guy behind me choose to go off on the paved shoulder. Less then one half mile later another plastic coated something was in the middle of the fast lane. It took a bit more aggressive action on my part this time, but, I did it safely on the slick highway. The guy going pretty fast in the fast lane made it too...but he had to go on the grass in the median to miss it. How he did it, I don't know...but I bet he slowed down after that! LOL About five miles down the road we saw the culprit truck pulled over with the driver tightening and rearranging his load.

As I neared Marion I started paying attention to the changes in the area. They are still doing road work on the interchange there. It seems as if we are getting closer and closer to being solidly built up between Marion and Carbondale. Not necessarily a good thing...but not bad either. I peeled off Hwy. 13 and headed out to the kennel outside of town. Bonnie was thrilled to get to spend sometime with the dogs there. She seems to enjoy it and the owner tells me she is sweet...so I don't worry about her.





My childhood friend Cindy has moved into a new apartment recently so I find her without too much trouble. She suggests the Greek place for dinner with her and her hubby Mark. It is good but they have changed how they do the fried mushrooms, so we are just a bit disappointed. Mark treats us to a chocolate cone at the DQ next door--YES! It's Thursday--CHOCOLATE DQ day! Mark's nephew is working tonight. Boy, it's nice having a friend with a Dairy Queen!




We stay up late chatting and checking out Cindy's dragonfly pictures--but not too late as we have to go to work tomorrow. That and Cindy has been staying up WAY late since she started her vacation already. We made hit the road to Mt. Vernon about noon, with the skies cloudy and threatening more rain. Cindy's two sons are on the Carbondale football team so she won't be able to work the "Preview Party" at the show Friday night. But, we plan on meeting up in the hotel room later. Set up goes smoothly with no rain...yea!


The preview party is a waste. I don't bother buying the electric hookup...or do I??? Later I find that I had paid in advance so I am bummed I lost that money. The show goes ok, but, I am not setting any records here where I have two great competitors. The family soap business, Poppy House soaps and Regal Frog Soaps, where my friend Trinda has the biggest share of the local business as she lives here in Mt. Vernon.



John Kearney, Chicago, IL, "Kimball" 1994, medium: Chrome car bumpers!





What I really like about the show though are two things. Being able to spend the weekend with Cindy getting caught up on what she is up to and the grounds of the Cedarhurst museum. I have posted a couple of my favorite sculptures throughout the blog...enjoy!



Aldon Addington, Carbondale, IL, "Northern Moon" 1991, medium: stainless steel




We end up with sunshine and average sales, but, happy! Back in Carbondale Cindy goes out for a meditation class and I hit the local pizza joint that has the mozeralla that slides down your throat like an alien! Mark comes over in time for us to finish off the pizza and I hit the hay early as I leave for HOME in the morning.



Pat McDonald, Oak Park, IL, "Dolmen" 2000, medium: cast concrete.

No comments: