Monday, February 15, 2010

The Carport Floor and Sidewalk, February 8-10, 2010


Our next project was trying to get our carport floor painted before I had to leave to fly to Illinois.  The existing green had worn over the years to show both the paint color before (a orangey color) and bare concrete.  Actually this was a project that we had talked about doing when we moved in that just never got done.  Trouble was that the weather just wasn't cooperating!  Monday wasn't too bad.  I got up and drove up to Eve's place in Eustis to pick up the pressure washer.  Then once I was back home I got to the projects. 

When I looked up, I noticed that our jacking up the roof to replace the columns had left several tiny cracks in the ceiling. So, the first project was to get those patched and then repaint.  I was done with that by the time Rod got home.  So, I was relaxing on the sofa while he was on the computer when he made a comment about the upcoming weather.  That got my attention. 

He said that by Wednesday it would be getting cold again--which ruled out painting.  When I asked him about rain, he said they didn't forecast any.  So, I changed the plan from pressure washing on Tuesday, to doing it after dinner on Monday.  Then I could paint on Tuesday and have Wednesday to clean the house.  Great plan! 

             
                                            

Except the weather had it's own plans.  When I got up on Tuesday, the weather gal was saying that rain was coming to town around 3 p.m.  So a quick read of the paint can showed a two hour dry time.  Which seemed like plenty of time to get the carport and the walkway painted. 

So, I grabbed the paint, the anti-slip additive and rollers and brushes and got busy.  At noon, the first doubt creeped into my mind as a few tiny little drops fell...and luckily stopped.  But, by 12:30 we were up to a steady drizzle...and moments later as I was cleaning up the brushes, a steady rain was falling.  By the time Rod got home the first few inches of painted concrete was wet.  By dinnertime, the first 12 inches was already a patchwork of two colors of previous paint, bare concrete and washed away new paint.  CRAP!

By, Wednesday morning I was over it.  The whole project was a crap shoot--I rolled and lost.  The good news is that I have enough paint to redo the edge and I will probably do that after the folks leave to go to the condo.  That of course will restart the drying/curing time clock again.  It takes one week for full cure...and after 72 hours you can drive on it with cardboard down on the tire places.  But I am OVER it...mostly!

                                    

No comments: