Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Porch Lights, February 22 and 23, 2010


Mom and I stopped in to Lowe's after the new porch roof was done to check on some lighting ideas.  My electrician neighbor, Jim, had suggested we add lights along the perimeter of the frame since we couldn't add a fixture over the table. 

The employee at Lowe's and I think alike--he just kept on bouncing ideas off me until we had a couple of good options.  First was a track light and while not specifically for outdoor use, it was the right shape to fit on the 2 inch aluminum frame and the can lights could be exchanged easily if the moisture and humidity got to them.  

Then we looked at rope lights.  I wasn't sure they would throw off enough light, but, I was impressed with the ease of installation and the low cost was definitely a plus.  So I bought one of each type of light to show Rod and get his take on things. 

Rod felt like the simplicity of the rope lights would work best on our porch, so, we tacked the first string up only to find out an 18 inch section of the lights did not work--it was ok when we turned them on to soften up the plastic.  So, the next day we went back to Lowe's to exchange the bad string and get a couple more to finish the job. 

What do you think?

I love the whole party light "theme" and look forward to entertaining out there once the weather is ready to cooperate.  I hope we can get Jim over to add a switch for us and maybe add a couple of plugs out there too!

No comments: