Monday, February 8, 2010

Lake Placid Country Fair, February 6 & 7, 2010

A very quiet weekend at the little town of Lake Placid this weekend.  Since our column project ran long on Friday, I missed the rain setting up Friday afternoon!  That was good...getting up at 4 a.m. on Saturday was not.  But the drive down is less than two hours, so, not bad all in all.



I was set up next to Dave and Cheryly the farmers from Illinois who sell garden art.  They are the nicest couple--Cheryl even gave my Dad a haircut at a show down in Fort Myers a couple years ago--that's how we got to know them.  They travel by RV down to Florida in the wintertime to make some money and have a bit of a break from the weather.  This year, unfortunately, we weren't having the usual warm weather they were hoping for.

Saturday was cloudy the whole day and very windy.  A couple artists lost their tents but I was pretty protected where I was at.  Luckily!  Despite the weather, the crowds were good on Saturday morning, but, they cleared out quick and we all were wondering where all our customers went.  It ended at 4 p.m., so, I went to find some dinner before cocooning in the back of the van with a couple magazines.  I fell asleep very early...which was expected.  The weather got down into the forties overnight, but, I just cranked the van up in the morning to get my "bath" in before getting the tent opened up for the day.

Sunday started out cloudy and cold--I had to go back to the van to add a layer on the top and bottom.  But, with hat and gloves and four layers, we made it.  The sun eventually came out and the day was bright but still cold.  It probably made it just into the sixties...so all in all a nice day.  The crowds were expected to be light in the afternoon thanks to the Superbowl--and they were.  So, the show ended up as quietly as it started...with my cash box pretty low.  While I hate when that happens, this show is so affordable, I don't sweat it too much.



When I got home after unloading at the warehouse, the half time show was on and Rod had our grilled dinner all ready.  Yummy!  We watched the rest of the game--Rod stayed up until almost 10 p.m.!  I don't know how he does that and then still gets up at 2:30 a.m. for work. 

Now it's Monday morning and Bonnie Dog and I were up and out early.  But not for our usual walk around the neighborhood.  We had to drive up to Deland to pick up the pressure washer Eve is loaning us to get the carport painting done.  We made it there and back by about 10:15--even had time to chat with her neighbor Joe who helped me load up.  Nice guy...and he has a head of hair that would make most girls jealous.  LOL!

So today I am gonna get the ceiling out there painted and then hopefully get the pressure washing started.  I just wish it would warm up.   It would be so nice to be able to do it in shorts.  But alas, that's probably not gonna happen today.

No comments: