Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Only Once Every Seven Weeks...

Did you hear that stat on NBC's Nightly News (Monday October 3)?  The US Postal Service reports that in a survey the average American receives a handwritten letter only once every seven weeks.  You can see a video or read the text version here.   



It makes me sad, especially when I wonder when the last handwritten piece of mail I received came.  Wasn't it longer than seven weeks ago?  Am I not loved as much as the average person??  Am I just forgetting since the mailbox is so full of bills, catalogs with stuff I can't afford and junk mail???

Weirdly, this didn't make me feel sorry for the US Postal Service, it reminded me of a Shirley Temple movie.  I saw it when I was first married living with my wonderful hubby in our new house--I think it was "Blue Bird" from 1940 or so.  Having lost my grandparents, I was intrigued with the notion that our loved ones in Heaven were animated whenever we thought of them here on Earth.  I still think of my grandparents often, just to bring a smile to my face--and ridiculous as it sounds--to bring them to life up in Heaven.  I mean, seriously...I don't think we will need any help being animated in paradise, but, I still do it.

I even think I made a New Years Resolution one year to be better at writing to people who were important in my life.  Rod's Aunt Ellen is so good about keeping us up-to-date on happenings in their world--I want to be more like her!  But, I also want to actually have something good to say--certainly better things than I blog about!!!  And certainly something that would not be mocked at a reading of say...Christmas letters.  That particular day my annual missive was compared to a letter from an old friend--and mine came up VERY short on the fun meter.  Ouch.  It pains me that my perceived wonderful little recap of the year was not appreciated by my wide, far-flung audience.

So, in honor of continuing my quest to set pen to paper more consistently, I am gonna sit down and
W R I T  E  to one of my high school friends.  It will not be just the magazine article I clipped that made me think of her.  It will have an actual page of handwriting, bad as it usually ends of being and not just a post-it-note with a quick sentiment.  I promise...


No comments: