Saturday, October 8, 2011

Reading Kick





I have been reading up a storm lately.  Anytime I see someone's reading list in a magazine, I tear it out and then take a look later.  If I am near my computer, I can request home delivery of the books I want.  They show up at my door a few days or weeks later and I read to my heart's content.  In the process I have discovered a couple series I had forgotten about.  Just a note,  I read mainly for enjoyment and I love mysteries.    






First is the China Bayle's series by Susan Wittig Albert.  I love the herb shop owner and the cast of characters in the little Texas town where she lives.  Of course, being a soapmaker I love her description of herbs and gardens.  I have read a couple of the books over the last ten years.  But now I am reading them from the beginning.  China is a former lawyer who gave up the rat race for small town living.  With her background she finds her friends frequently need legal advise and she delivers that and fun investigations of the crimes she tries to solve.  



  • One of the things I like to imagine is who would play her in a movie?  Rod's friend Danny listens to a lot of audio books and he says he can't listen to some because of the voice of the reader...so I take that into account too.  I pick Jodie Foster to play China.  Or Laura Linney, Frances McDormand, or in a few years Annabeth Gish.
  • I love that the author gives some great reference material in the back of the books so you can do more research on the herbs, etc. if you choose too!







Next up is Diane Mott Davidson's Culinary Mysteries.  These are a fun mix of recipes and murder.  Goldy Schultz is a caterer who gets into the middle of murders while cooking up a storm.  I have only read a couple of these, but, I found them enjoyable...and they left me hungry too!  SO, I am backtracking to the beginning to get all the details.  The hardest part about reading an older series is finding the first book in the series.  My library doesn't always have that right--or they list the second printing dates or something.  I got sent the fifth book in the series--so do I read it or wait???  



  • The actress pick on this one is still out.  I want a young Meg Ryan.    
  • The book on chocolate is what got me hooked.  It was called "Dying for Chocolate" and can I just say melt-in-your-mouth YUM!


This is a children's series that was recommended in a magazine--it may have been "Real Simple".   I have read the first two in the series and am thinking about getting it for the younger great nieces for Christmas this year.  The girls in the book are just so creative and sweet (mostly except for their sibling rivalries) but their imaginations make the books soar.  I can picture reading them to a child before bedtime and sparking the dreams that child will have. 

Two other series come to mind too, but, I have fallen off the wagon where they are concerned.  Sue Grafton's, Kinsey Millhone series who I see being played by Neve Campbell is the first mystery series I ever got into.  Janet Evanovich's hilarious bounty hunter is another old favorite.  Her main character is Stephanie Plum, who I see is being played by Katherine Heigl in the first movie. That may work but it depends on the two love interests.  I will get back to these series one day.  Oh, and the other series, by Patricia Waddell is the True Blood Vampire series (as seen on HBO).  They did a good job of casting the girl, but, all the male vamps--ugh.  I am all caught up with that series because it reads like fun, little bites of dessert. 

So what are you reading--leave me a comment so I can get it on my library reading list!  

No comments: