Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tips!



My favorite recipe of the moment--thanks in part to my in-laws asking for it this past weekend.  Rod and I both LOVE chocolate and this recipe for brownies is the BEST.  It was in the food section of the Orlando Sentinel about 20 years ago or whenever it was that the Magic (professional basketball team) came to town.  They must have been doing a lifestyle piece on then coach, Matti Guokas.  Anyway, these are the best I have ever had and quite an easy recipe to remember too!

Matt Goukis' Favorite Brownies
1/2 pound butter or margarine (two sticks and I have used tub margarine in a pinch)
4 squares unsweetened chocolate  ( usually sub 2/3 c cocoa and 4T veggie oil)
2 cups sugar (I sometimes use 1/2 splenda)
4 eggs beaten
2 t vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 9x13 pan--I use cooking spray.  
Melt the butter and chocolate together in double boiler.  (I do this in the microwave slowly so you don't burn the chocolate.)  In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and eggs until light and fluffy--use a mixer for best results.  Add slightly cooled chocolate mixture and the remaining ingredients.  Mix by hand just until blended.  Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes.  Makes 12 large or 15 small--I do it more bite size by cutting in 24 pieces.  Oh, and you can half the ingredients and do a smaller pan.  I don't usually frost these as they are so good right out of the pan.  

  







My favorite recent quote--from Shonda Rhimes who is the creator, writer and executive producer of the TV shows Greys Anatomy and Private Practice.  "I kind of like to think that dreaming is my superpower."  I always thought the ability to fly would come in handy, but, I've got to say that dreaming is much cooler and for me an easier "reach" than trying to get my 747 size body up in the clouds!




My favorite new tip--courtesy of Real Simple Magazine is to use an ice cube to defat sauces and soups.  Simply grab an ice cube, the bigger the better.   Run it over the top of the sauce or soup.  Wipe the fat that sticks to the ice cube and continue until you remove the fat you want to get out of there.  I haven't used this one yet...but I think it's a great idea!

My Tip Request--So, one of my husband's gel writing pens went through the laundry again.   Every single piece of clothes in the load was effected except one of his shirts that was dark.  Argh!  What will remove that ink? Any ideas???

2 comments:

Becky said...

Figures, I come to leave a comment and have to see a brownie recipe, you're just cruel Jackie!

JackieSoap said...

Call me Cruella, Becky! LOL, btw we tried alcohol, dishsoap and rewashing in the washing machine, but, still have black marks on everything. Bummer