Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Body Image




So many of my friends are obsessed with how they look, I have started to wonder if I am the one with a problem.  

I have my "Food Police" friend who also teaches Yoga.  She decided a couple years ago that belly shirts and low risers were the answer to looking younger.  Now, this gal has three kids and I think you know what that means to her core--even with several yoga sessions a day.  I don't care too look at bare muffin tops on teenagers, so,  why would I want to see them on menopausal women.  Even if I love them dearly.  

Another friend constantly comments, that "if that person lost a few pounds they would be cute".  Well, honestly, I think that person is already cute.  And, to top it off they have a great personality!  What difference does a few extra pounds have?  And really, if the person you are talking to is a candidate to go on Biggest Loser--do you really think it is an appropriate topic of conversation???  Can't we make our observations about someone something more important than how they look.  



And then there is the Potion Finder--you know the one who buys every anti-age new thing on the market in search of her youth.  Cellulite--oh my!  Now this particular friend is truly beautiful inside and out--yes, wrinkles, cellulite and crepe-y neck and all.   She has overcome obstacles that would have felled most.  She is constantly re-creating her life.  Why can't she see what I see?  

Finally, I have my biggest challenge--my Negative Nelly.  With her it is an almost constant barage of seemingly cosmetic complaints directed at others:  that one wears her shorts too short, that one doesn't wear a bra, that one needs to put on makeup, that one needs her teeth done and that one doesn't dress up enough.  Jeez, I just want to scream--LIVE AND LET LIVE!  Who elected you judge, jury and executioner??  

Which brings me to, ME!  Why do these things drive me crazy?  All four of these women are phenomenal.  They work, they take care of their family--even when the family only includes furry kids.  They take care of me when I need a shoulder to cry on or a stern reminder to shape up.  



I wonder what drives them crazy about me?   Could it be that my wardrobe mainly consists of t-shirts and denim shorts?  Could it be my hair that doesn't get a box of color often enough?  Or maybe that it is not done by a professional?  Is it my plus size body?  Is it that my body isn't a problem to me?  

I guess what binds us altogether is our friendship.  I have called each of these girls on these things driving me crazy--as they have called me out for things.  We all ignore it.  I just wish we could stop beating others up over these perceived faults.  Let's try to bring people up and not beat them down.  The world is tough enough right now.  To make someone question something as trivial as cosmetic flaws should be beneath all of us.  

Oh, if one of them asks me for the TRUTH about how they look in something, I am gonna give it to them straight.  But if they are just looking for a pick me up, I am going to tell them they look fantastic--because they are!

No comments: