Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lesson's from High School

What is one lesson you learned in school that you never forgot?

I didn't know it then, but what I learned from my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. LaSalle was--creativity. Freshman English was full of the standard stuff--spelling tests and reading the Greek Tradegies.  Mrs. LaSalle took a different approach.  She is the one who made us write about our heros.  I wrote about my Mom learning to ride horses when she was 35. She made us give speeches.  I choose to talk about the nutritional value of earthworms, while offering the other students cookies spiked with roasted earthworms (they tasted like nuts)!!!  LOL  She made us sit and watch the entire mini-series, The Holocaust (it starred Meryl Streep, James Woods and Michael Moriarty).  I didn't know anyone Jewish at the time and I sure didn't know enough about the second World War.  She was memorable.  She could be intimidating--she stood about 6'2" and with a physical presence that got your attention.  But, boy was she a dang good teacher.  No, it's not her fault that I take so many liberties with punctuation (OK with all things concerning the written word)  nowadays.


No comments: