Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Great Pomace Experiment, October 27, 2009

Alright, Class!  Everyone ready for a tutorial on olive oil?  Aside from shea butter, it is the most expensive fixed or vegetable oil I use in my soaps--and it comprises the biggest part of my soap recipe.  So, if I can reduce my olive oil cost, I can make a big impact on the cost, right? 


Well, the answer is YES!  My local Sysco saleswoman recently sent me a variety of olive oil/olive oil blend prices to compare to the Bertolli Olive from Sam's Club I have been using since I first started making soap about 12 years ago.  So, I started researching.  Here's a short Wikipedia version of the different types of olive oil:

Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. Extra Virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries. Used on salads, added at the table to soups and stews and for dipping.


Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 2%, and is judged to have a good taste.

Pure olive oil  is labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.

Olive oil (like I have been using in my soap) is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 1.5% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.

Olive-pomace oil is refined pomace olive production oil possibly blended with some virgin production oil. It is fit for consumption, but may not be described simply as olive oil. Olive-pomace oil is rarely sold at retail; it is often used for certain kinds of cooking in restaurants.

The great thing about Pomace for a soapmaker is that it has a high percentage of unsaponifiables in it.  This means the soap goes to trace faster--so for my hot process soapmaking, it gets in the mold that much quicker.  The other thing about unsaponifiables...they don't turn into soap when the lye is added.  So, they remain in the soap as free-floating pockets of moisture.  Who doesn't need more moisture?!?


So, after doing the research, I decided to test pomace olive in my soap recipes.  The top picture above is my men's shaving soap, "Pirates Booty Bar", and the picture directly above is my 100% Natural Patchouli "Earth" soap.  The bars on the left were made with pomace and are very slightly more yellow in tint.  I think to the untrained eye, you would not even notice a difference. 

So, I think the experiment was a success!

5 comments:

Braizyn said...

Thanks for the info. Where does the hobbiest soap maker buy Pomace? Thanks. Judy

Anonymous said...

I'm a soapmaker too, in Spain! We are lucky enough to live on an olive farm, so use our own olive oil for our soap. It makes the most wonderful, moisturizing soap, doesn't it?!

FooFooBerry said...

I've been using Pomace Olive oil for awhile now and love it.

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for doing the test and information. I've had similar results when testing up to 12 different Olive Oils! Very small variations that no one would seem to notice. =)

Salameander said...

Gosh, I had no idea olive pomace oil isn't usually available at retail stores - I found mine in 5litre tins at our neighbourhood supermarket! And I live in Malaysia, where homemade CP soap is relatively unheard of.

Thanks for sharing the results of your experiments with us. :)