Monday, October 26, 2009

Mount Dora, October 24 and 25, 2009

We had a sunny, hot weekend in beautiful downtown Mount Dora this year.  Saturday it was a huge crowd out, even when the temps were approaching 90.  We all just were breathing a sigh of relief that it looked like we might make it out of the weekend with NO RAIN.  Yea!!!  Sunday's crowd was pretty light from my viewpoint, but, the temperature was mid-eighties--and with low humidity.  The crowd count is no where close to 250,000 people, but, it's still one of the bigger attended shows in the area.  What a nice treat--only in part because I was still in my same FLAT booth across from the Cupcake Delights shop!!!




I am always surprised when people travel a good distance to come to our shows.  I talked with several groups of women who had come on a Girls Weekend from south Florida to shop, eat and have fun.  They all seemed to enjoy the new scents--the Pomegranate Mango, that's "Yo Mamma" for those who may remember that catchy name--went over really well.  The more sedate but all natural, "Clarity", with Sage, Lemon and Lavender was doing well too.  Not too many were buying for Christmas.  I think they know they have about three more weeks of me in the area before they have to buckle down and buy????  I know most of us are stretching things out a bit, right?!

The HOT topic of the weekend was the changing of the guard on the promotor's end of things.  The show has been run for years, arguably pretty successfully, by the town's Merchants Association.  This year the new people's stamp was all over everything.  New check-in procedures were a pain--they had the parking lot CLOSED at the church...so vendors had to park other places and walk over.   Add to that the sign that said "Dealer Check-In"--which confused those of us who are actual artists and crafters.  I can say it really annoyed me--it's not like I place a call on Monday morning to restock.  I actually stand in a hot kitchen making this stuff, folks.  :)


The actually load-in went about as usual--chaotic, with tempers on most vendor's parts--so no big deal there.  I did however have to work alone as my Mount Dora helper had his days off changed by Disney from Friday/Saturday to Thursday/Friday--which ruined our date night at Jeremiahs after setting up.  BOOOOOOOOOO!

The price of the show is going up over 10% and as always when this happens we wonder if that means the advertising budget will go up or just the promotor's profits.  They are also going to charge a premium for being on certain streets AND if you have a corner, which is fairly typical for shows.   And, they increased the show hours.  What all this means, is that we work longer hours, with less return!  Oh joy!!!  LOL  All the artists were in "a mood" the whole weekend.  The vibe was bad, but, I ended up doing more than the year before, so all ends well in the Turbot household! 

On, a good note, I turned another friend onto the Bazi drink.  He was having knee trouble...and after a day it was better.  LOL  It is so simple!  I hope he continues to have good results, as I have had with my arthritus and soapmaker's shoulder.  The other gal I turned on last weekend, bought a couple bottles and she SWEARS by it!!! 


No comments: