Friday, February 10, 2012

We Are Cracking Now!


The Pecan Saga is over!!  It all started with my Mother-in-Law, Cody.  She actually has a friend who somehow gets bags of unshelled pecans.  Four or five times in the last couple of years, I am given one of these huge bags.  We love getting them.  Rod immediately sees a future with Chocolate Chip Cookies with pecans, Banana Bread with pecans and every once in a great while a Pecan Pie!  But two years ago when we did the nuts, my nut cracker and all the hand-held crackers and pics ended up going home with Mom and Dad.  So, we they arrived this year with all the nut-cracking gear in tow, we had two large bags of nuts to crack.  One of the bags were tiny little, dark pecans.  The other had huge nuts with a much lighter color.   


So, three days ago Mom and Dad started the cracking process.  They did that while I worked on Soap Biz stuff.  I joined them the last few days, but, my contribution was tiny compared to theirs!  The yield was 
4 3/4 quarts of nuts!   Since I have been dieting, my housemates have been supporting me by not having too many "restricted" foods around.  Today when we were out and about, I picked up a bag of dark chocolate chips and made three people VERY happy.  Most of all, Mom, who loves baking.  Yield on the cookies:   over 4 dozen.  Healthy concessions: dark chocolate, part whole wheat flour and they are keeping them hidden from me...just in case!




No comments: