Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 1: Working on the Diet


Yesterday I made soap for eight hours, and still found time to make THREE new recipes from an issue of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking (Aug/Sept 08).   Why do I tell you this?  I am proud of myself!  I am trying for little steps that will translate into long lasting changes for my health.  Sounds doable, right?  I think so.  I am shooting for 28 days/4 weeks of good results.  I want perfect, but, I will shoot for o.k. for now.  As long as I pay attention to what I eat and how I move.  The moving was mainly centered on my right arm and stirring all that soap.  In the future,  the plan is to get out of bed early and do some walking, Wii exercising and games. 

So, what is that weird looking concoction above?  That recipe is called, "So-Good Pilaf" and it was a blend of brown rice, bulgur and pearl barley sauteed in fat-free chicken broth, some veggies and spices.  I used instant barley and instant brown rice, so it came out kind of goopey because I cooked it too long--but with great flavor.  If I could get the texture down, I am sure it is something I could add to our meals every week.  


I have never been able to make a good brussels sprout!  Back when I worked at Disney, I had some of the best sprouts I have ever eaten in my life.  They were served with prime rib and grilled potatoes, if I remember correctly--what's not to like about a meal like that!  LOL  It was a meal I had about once a month, when we could take time out for a nice leisurely lunch with some other supervisors.  I have tried to make the brussels sprouts ever since, but, they never measured up.  Until last night.  The recipe was "Spruced-Up Sprouts".  It was boiled and then steamed in a broth made with low-sodium chicken bouillon and then finished off with some sliced water chestnuts, butter, spices and lemon juice.  Butter?  Actually I used Smart Balance Olive Oil Blend for part of my day's fat allotment.  I liked them!

Shoot me a comment if you need the recipe!

No comments: