Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not Made in China: Cloth Shopping Bags


OK, first road block to accomplishing Resolution #3.  I look in all of my cloth shopping bags--all 15 of them--and I find bad news.  They are nearly all Made in China.  Oh, there is one made in Vietnam (my favorite little blue IKEA food bag), and one "produced" in Virginia,  one unmarked and then the paper bag made by Weyerhaeuser that apparently has it own set of issues.  See the article here:  http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/0501/sc0501-paperplastic.html  

 I am going to take all those Made in China ones to my in-laws up in North Florida to see if they want to use them for toting books to the Library.  Or maybe Rod will have a use for them.  For now I will use just the Virginia bag.  I am not sure about the IKEA/Vietnam bag yet?  I need to check on the status of their workers.  :)  Oh, and the nice lady at the Albertson's grocery store is going to save the remaining EIGHT paper bags with handles for me.  For now the debate of Weyerhaeuser and old growth tree cutting will have to wait--I have shopping to do after all!!!

So, it is kind of neat that implementation of my Resolution #3 will not come at the expense of Resolution #2.  Remember, that is the one about not buying "Made in China".   It's a Win - Win.   It's all about WINNING, to paraphrase Charlie Sheen.  ROFLOL! 

No comments: