Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cholestrol Checkup and Emily Update



I had my bloodwork rechecked last week and yesterday was the appointment to see how I did since starting on my "lifestyle" change in January.  I was gonna say diet, but, honestly I don't really think I am dieting.  I eat most everything I want--I just don't want to eat a lot of the stuff I once did.  Other than chocolate, pizza, Chinese food--oh crap I guess I still have lots of cravings. 

The doctor's scale showed the same as my Wii--I was down 13 pounds.  I actually have yo-yo'd a bit on the weight, but all in all I am pretty happy with those results.  My total cholestrol fell 20 points so it is in good shape along with my triglicerides which are great.  But the good and the bad cholestrol are another story.  The good just keeps getting worse and the bad is getting worse too! 

So, the doctor still wants to put me on medication which I totally don't understand.  Well, I do understand it based on my family history.  I would probably have more problems with the side affects than with the benefits from lowering a couple components of my overall cholestrol.  We talked and decided that while I did make great progress on the eating end of things, I still have LOTS of room to improve my commitment to exercise.  

So, the next three months I plan to be a workout fool.  I think that will really work when I leave for Illinois in a couple weeks--my sister has a much better attitude toward working out and maybe it will rub off on me!  Plus, exercise has been shown to have a great impact on upping good cholestrol. 

SO, I am off to walk with Bonnie Dog.  And dust off the Wii for the later...

OH, and part of our Wii Weigh-in--Emily is up to almost 7 pounds.  She is still loving her Science Diet YD food--both the wet and the dry.  And unfortunately Bonnie steals it whenever we forget to put it up which means she is still gaining weight.  So, little Bonnie and I both really do need that walk!

 

No comments: