Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Kingdom for a Reese's Cup


One of the things we have tried to do is cut back on sugar and sweetner use to reduce both cravings and calories.  I have about stopped all diet sodas, using sweetner in my green tea and I am trying to get Rod 
to give up those sugar free cookies at the grocery store.  He doesn't have a blood sugar problem and he is able to limit himself--so I wanted to give him healthier sweet options. 

So, I make his favorite chocolate chip cookies, but, I use applesauce in place of the butter, dark chocolate chips and cut back a bit on the sugar.  He is happy and I am happy as long as I stay out of the cookie dough.  I could probably make these every single week and he would be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.  But, as I was looking through a new cookbook, Alicia Silverstone's, "The Kind Diet" Cookbook I found a copycat vegan recipe for one of my favorites--Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!!!


Not having all the ingredients or the desire to be 100% vegan, I substituted as below for my version.  They got a thumbs up from everybody that tried them over at the beach.  If you guys have any ideas for other easy to make goodies, leave a comment!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
2T Butter or Margarine
3/4 c Peanut Butter
3/4 c Graham or Saltine Cracker Crumbs
1/4 c Sugar or substitute
1 c Dark Chocolate Chips
1/4 c Milk of your choice
1/4 c chopped pecans
36 little muffin liners

In saucepan melt butter.  Add peanut butter and graham crumbs, sugar and mix well.  Remove from heat and spoon about 2 teaspoons into each liner. 

Combine chocolate and milk and melt in microwave in short bursts, stirring frequently.  Spoon over peanut butter mixture, dividing it up evenly as possible.  Top with chopped nuts.  Refrigerate 2 hours to harden.  Keep chilled.

The reason I really love this recipe is that it is a makeover of one of my family favorite Christmas cookies--those BuckEyes or Peanut Butter Balls that are made with so much butter and powdered sugar.  This is a nice change of pace.  But remember, it is still a treat...not something you whould eat every day.  Unless you are like my hubby and can control yourself. 

No comments: