Sunday, April 12, 2009

2009 Garden

The Rosemary survived the freeze...
The Lemongrass too! In the back right...the basil didn't...but the Lemon Balm and Tarragon are going strong.

The Cuban Oregano is coming back!


My Mohito Mint is doing well!



I had to cut back the monster Cilantro and my Stevia is growing like a weed.

Those of you who know me, know that I really have a black thumb. My grandparents, my parents, even my brother can grow things. But, not me. I had a garden back in the mid-1990's and it grew, but, I ran out of time to keep it up. Before you knew it, it was overgrown with weeds. BUT, I do remember we got a lot of pole beans from it!

So, after reading an article on gardening in the AARP magazine (ROD's mag, not mine!!! LOL) and listening to my friend Eve talk about her greenhouse, I decided it was time to do a small plot. Just one little basically 4 foot by 4 foot plot. You can see from the look of the backyard "grass"--we are not losing too much by putting in a small garden. LOL

I added a couple bags of manure to my sandy soil and I was off to Home Depot to get seeds.



The tiniest little cherry tomato sprouts you may have ever seen--just three days old!!
I came back with some pole beans, swiss chard, carrots and cherry tomatoes. I put the cherry tomato seeds in a grow tray and keep the mister close by, and so far two of the seeds are sprouting up. It could be four of the six, but, the other two are so small I won't know until tomorrow. The pole bean and swiss chard seeds went right in the ground and the carrots will wait until Fall.

I also cleaned out the side flower bed in the backyard--and put some bachelor button and gaillardia seeds in...will see what comes up there besides aloe and weeds...cross fingers!!! Oh, this picture was taken before the string trimmer was fixed...so the grass is growing LONG here!

When Rod got home and saw the small veggie plot he asked about sweet corn. Of course I am reluctant to try to grow that--when my Dad farmed, he grew the BEST sweet corn ever. Jodie and I sold what we picked in a pickup truck on the driveway on Roosevelt Rd....we made good money too. We always had fair money to play with! But, I dug up another 5x8 foot plot, added some more manure and I hope it will get enough sun to yeild something. OH, and the end of the plot is where we dug up a bunch of rocks in a planter--so, there are the remnants of a rock garden for the corn roots to contend with. I don't know what to do about borders for these plots yet...but I will figure something out.

No comments: