Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Delray Affair, April 17-19, 2009

View of the Intercoastal from Veterans Park

Delray has been a show I look forward to all year. I get to see many artists I only see once a year, the quality of the arts and crafts is exceptional and of course, I make some money along the way! LOL

Quiet Morning...

This year, the vibe was not good--the promotion of the event is now being split by the Chamber of Commerce and a private group. For most artists, this show is their big moneymaker of the Spring. We count on people knowing where we are from year to year and knowing we will have what they want to buy. This year, the new promotor moved many artists from their prized spots along the Avenue (one gal I know has been in the same spot for 28 years and was moved to a SIDEWALK!). The copper artist next to me had been in his spot 16 years. SO, artists were all upset.
On the upside, the WEATHER WAS PERFECT!! Temps in the low 80's and just a tad breezy--this is Florida in the Spring! However, it was windy. While I don't think we ever had higher than a 20 mph gust, some folks don't realize how quickly it can all go wrong...

Then add to that they extended the hours from 10-6pm on Friday and Saturday to 10-8pm and you really got us riled up! LOL For the unfamiliar, those extra two hours do not bring extra sales. This pre and post-dinner crowd is usually just out for a stroll--they are not buying customers. SO, the benefit to the artists is pretty much ZERO--we work more hours for the same money. In fact, for me it was such a huge negative, I emailed the promotors prior to the show...and emailed and emailed. I decided to get even for no return calls by not spending a dime in Delray. We usually have two nice dinners out plus we buy supplies from the office supply and grocery stores--not this time. We learned that the promotor told us our fellow "artists had requested the extended hours" but in fact it was really that the local merchants and restaurants whom had asked for the longer hours.

BUT, the bottom line is that in fact of way fewer people than usual (this show is billed as 250,000 in attendance)--my sales were up about 15% from the prior year. This is for one reason only--YOU GUYS. Thanks to my loyal customers who continue to buy my shea butter soap and incense I had a pretty good year (in spite of myself). LOL Thank you all so much!

No comments: