Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Soapmaking Day 2, April 8, 2009

I just measured out the first pots of the day and the oils and butters are melting as I type this. When it's cold out--and it is only about 54 degrees here--even some of the oils are solid. This is what the oils look like after they have been on the heat for a bit:

Then we have the lye water. In this picture it is all dissolved and waiting to go into the oils once they are melted. Looks pretty innocuous, doesn't it? But, don't put a finger in there or you will lose some skin. Do you watch that TV show called Bones? In it, the bad guy dissolved a body in lye once...it wasn't pretty. SO, that is why I am so careful when I work with the lye. I don't want to have to explain dissolved body parts to anybody!!!

I decided to use some of my new Spanish Sage Essential Oil in a new blend. Last night I played around with adding Lavender and Lemon Essential Oils together and this morning I have a blend that I am gonna try. It will take a couple weeks to get the final results, but, I like it a lot so far. Now, I just have to come up with a name for it...time to brainstorm. Oh, and I do keep a list of names that I like to use down the road and I will have to check that out for any potential winners.

So yesterday, I watched that movie "Australia" on DVD. I wasn't too impressed--I thought it would be more epic and less cartonish. I really hate when you can tell where the special effects are cut into the movie. I liked the story, but, the rest was just distracting. Oh, and I thought the little aboriginal boy who played Nullah was adorabe. I also caught a movie with Edward Norton (Fight Club fame) and Colin Farrell called Pride and Glory about cops on the take in NY city. It was very good! I used my free RedBox rental code from the "Hey Its Free" website. Free is good! LOL

No comments: